Tuesday, August 23, 2016

LOOKIE LOOS

Our little small county is reeling in loss

In one day we lost two very wonderful blessings that had shoes that will never be filled

This is my sweet neighbor Lynna
she drove herself to the hospital
and then she died...she was only 64 with her whole life ahead of her

in our small town, as you can imagine, a loss like this is quite a shock
and there were immediately cars and trucks and people and well...chaos at her house

Some call them Lookie Loos
and I know what they mean...like those who might rush to a car accident
or post photos of a tragedy on Facebook

so we had a conversation last night over wine and charcuterie
and I made the statement that if this were me, I would not want my home to be invaded with lots of people and I wouldn't want my family to have to write hundreds of thank you notes for peas and carrots and j-ello salads (yes maybe here I am being kind to myself in the numbers that would lookie loo me)

but in a sad and tragic event, really why are we expected to pull ourselves together and entertain those with the best intentions, wash tons of dishes and then send tons of thank you notes when we are barely able to breath?

and just a few hours later...another untimely loss



Guy Paul Hindergardt

(You can read about him at the Buddy Boy link)
his death was on the Amarillo news stations, his funeral will be live streamed...because he was famous?  Well...yes...as a matter of fact, it seems that he is.  His simple innocent way of living touched literally thousands of people in his community and our area.

and it caused me to re-think the
LOOKIE LOO

maybe...maybe this is what we need in a time of great loss and shock and grief
maybe we need some peas and carrots and j-ello salad...made with a few tears dripped in
maybe we need to wash a ton of dishes because we don't know what to do with our hands
maybe we need all the people who ever knew or liked us or didn't like us but knew us..
to come visit and pay a respect...maybe that visit is for THEM
maybe there is great healing in knowing how many people one life can touch
and maybe it can cause that one person to go forth and try to live a life that would touch so many

maybe just maybe
that Lookie Loo knew them better than we thought


4 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

I've given this a lot of thought. Funeral visitations are SO HARD on families, but people WANT to pay their respects. They want to feel like they're doing something to help. I live in a small town too, and I know these things hit hard. I'm so sorry for the loss of these two amazing people. Blessings from Missouri!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

My mother is 87. Her twin brother died a year ago, just before their birthday. He lived several states away and mother couldn't go to the funeral. When her birthday came, she wondered why her twin didn't call as he always did. The same thing happened this year. I think if she had been able to go to the funeral, it would've helped her with his passing. So I guess I would say those that come, come to remember and forget. Bless all the family members who lost these two souls. And thanks for bringing this up and talking about it.

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Hi Gina,
Such sad losses! What a day that must have been- for you, for their families, for your community. Loss is so hard, but especially hard when it is so sudden and unexpected.
I share your thoughts about the people and the jello salads in my house after I go. I also know that people do feel the need to do something- anything to help ease the pain of those left behind. And coming together helps those sorts of people. It doesn't help the other sort, though. It's a horrible burden to bear after an excruciating loss of a loved one. Personally, I've been thru it too many times and I wouldn't want my family to have to endure it. We are that "other sort". So what to do? It's a conversation for sure. Love to you, sweet friend.

Anajá Schmitz said...

Olá,
meus sentimentos.
Abraços