Tuesday, June 7, 2011

THE REAL SOURCE OF POWER

How many would wash the feet of a tired old woman in a room where nobody knew and nobody saw?

I read these words a very long time ago and have never forgotten the question.

Yesterday, while babbling about my woes of no water, or dusty cabinets, or blah blah blah blah blah....

I saw Phyllis.

Phyllis used to be my across the street neighbor.  She was married to Leo.  They had no children.  Leo worked for the city and died at an early age after having a stroke and living in the manor for some time.  She was always at his side, and I now imagine she made many friends while being there.

Yesterday, I saw Phyllis.

She was leaving the manor carrying a laundry basket full of clothes.  Since Leo is no longer there, I am going to assume she is caring for someone who is.

Neatly pressed white button up shirt with sleeves, black slacks, tennis shoes, short bob hair, no fussy red lipstick for her, eyes cast down, maybe she was counting her steps.

If I know anything, I know this.  I may have a lot, and I may have a lot of friends and a lot of stuff and a lot of collections of stuff and a lot of stuff in boxes in my garage and a lot of places to go and a lot of things to do and a lot of responsibility and a lot of of lot of a lot...and I am grateful for my abundance...EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

But because of my abundance, I try to look for the messages in life that greet me at every corner...and that message is that the real source of happiness...and power...is what I saw yesterday....

when I saw Phyllis.

Jesus teaches us that real power is found in one of the strangest, most unexpected places. Real power is found in meekness.

No comments: