Tuesday, September 9, 2008

FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL


Friday night football is big stuff in the Texas Panhandle. It’s the biggest baddest funnest stuff there is. It drives the economy, the social circles, and the future of many.
I was a cheerleader as a senior when my team went to the state play offs…the only time ever. Coach Sherwood changed our colors from “stately purple” to “just try and stop me lavender”. What a brave thing he did. We played well into December and let’s just say that little lavender cheerleading outfits aren’t knit for frosty weather!
I do have fond memories, but my Friday nights have evolved and I’m glad about it. When my brothers graduated, I was so thankful that I didn’t HAVE to go to the games anymore. One thing I do miss though, are the smells of cigar and popcorn floating together in the crisp fall air.
Today, Friday night football is still the best, just different--I’m no less a fan. I turn on my TV to Channel 6 where the game is broadcast live from KXDJ. I sit by my backyard pond with my friends who share my fairweather lack of athleticsupportedness, sip a nice glass of Kim Crawford, and listen to the sounds coming from just down the street. The bands playing their fight song when their team scores, the crowd cheering, the bits and pieces of the announcer when the wind turns just right, and a nice fire in the chiminea if the weather justifies. Perfect…a little bit of this, a little bit of that…ah Friday night football--a toasty fire, sauvignon blanc..and TGIF!

No comments: