Sunday, September 7, 2014

ABSINTHE

makes the heart grow fonder

during the sweet baby girl shower yesterday I was able to use my 
Bon Bon  spoon for the first time

this Bon Bon spoon was a real lesson for me

on a trip to New Orleans a few years back
we went on a haunted pub crawl and were introduced to


Absinthe is an anise flavored spirit (as opposed to a liqueur)
 derived from botanicals, including the flowers and leaves of Artemisia absinthium

oh what fun and what fun is that Absinthe spoon?

so I was on the lookout for one and found one in one of my favorite
6th Street haunts...only she called it a Bon Bon spoon
( I knew immediately that I would use a Bon Bon spoon about as often as an Absinthe spoon 
so I bought it anyway)


the youtube above shows the ritual to prepare and drink Absinthe

Who drank Absinthe?
Ernest Hemingway, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde
{{not me}}

It is rumored that Napoleon died from a licorice overdose
Licorice is anise (arsenic) not to be confused with, but similar in flavor to, absinthe (wormwood)

if you like licorice you might consider the drink of Greece

we brought some back from our trip there, and as my grandmother might say
{{although she never had a drop to drink her whole life}}
!!SHOO--WEE!!
so...
knowing that Absinthe might invite
a visit from the 
and possibly cause you to cut off your ear

what in this world would possess you to drink it at all????

if I remember correctly,
what possessed us on that pub crawl a few years back
was not only the mood set in New Orleans but it also could have been

one too many of these!

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder!

and on a side note about the bon bon spoon baby shower
how very special and sentimental that
first there are four grands that grew up together 
(two of which were in my wedding)
we had babies together
and now they are having babies together
xoxoxoxoxo 





16 comments:

Marissa said...

Interesting!
I've never heard of absinthe.
It's really pretty and makes for a great conversation starter I'm sure. :)

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Keep the pretty spoon and stay away from that stuff! We can't have you running about in a very UN-Pura Vida manner, now can we???
xo, T.

Maureen Wyatt said...

I've always felt I would be a better writer if only I had some absinthe. I've never used my bon bon spoon and now you have given me a great idea. I shall dedicate my great novel to you and the green fairy.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I have heard of Absinthe but didn't know what it was until this post. I learned something today :-)

bj said...

I've never even heard of this drink...(remember, I don't get out much)but if it would make me paint like some of those listed, and turn me into a green fairy, I think I'd like a drink of it. :)
Right now, I'm on my way to play Bunco and the host this month wants us to wear a favorite cap or hat...mine is a black cap that says GOT WINE..I'm takin' my Blackberry Wine that I love and gonna have a goood time. :) Actually, we generally have a glass or two of wine and that's all...we gotta drive home, ya know. :)

Anajá Schmitz said...

Que linda colher. Eu amo garrafas de bebidas, mas não bebo nada de álcool. Adorei suas descrições de cada bebida.
Tenha um ótimo início de semana.

Revi said...

I think I remember hearing it caused blindness...back when the artists were drinking it - I have some Artemesia growing in my yard...it's very drought tolerant. I had no idea about the spoon and sugar ritual! It's a fun "artsy" thing to have...I was thinking today I need to go down 6th street when it gets a bit cooler..:)

chateau chic said...

Interesting post! Never heard of absinthe...learned something new. Thanks!
Mary Alice

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Boy... I've never heard of that drink! I think Ill stick to something a tad more typical...like Gin and tonic!

White Lace and Promises said...

Our babies having babies together. Isn't that fun! My daughter and DIL will have girl to grow up together. Fun, fun!

Stacy CUrran said...

My father drinks this sometimes and swears that it helps his stomach when he "overindulges". I can't even stand the smell of it!
Stacy

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

So many years ago, which I haven't committed to memory we tasted and drank the green eye fairy. Potent, almost strong enough to hallucinate as in days of old. I think it was the sugar cube and the amazing silver spoon that drew me in... Perhaps it was being a young and dumb artist. Whatever was the reason on that evening we drank it's essence ... I have never drank it again!!!

Algodão Tão Doce said...

Olá querida, passei por aqui para agradecer sua doce presença
no meu cantinho.Obrigada !!!
Abraços, Marie.

Ann said...

yOUR SPOON IS CO cute.

That absinthe drink
looks so refreshing
and I know it can also
make me laugh more while I'm still under its influence... nice share.

Fashion-isha said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Very original post!
xo
Sharon

Anajá Schmitz said...

Estou aqui para lhe desejar um feliz final de semana. E também agradecer a maravilhosa visita.