Friday, May 11, 2018

MY NEIGHBOR EDY



"Miss Entrekin" was everyone's 4th grade teacher...I barely remember her, but her daughter Edith lived in her mom's house on Dressen Street for as long as I can remember.

I have known her all my life, but she was my neighbor for the past 10 years.

She recently had a stroke and moved in with her daughter Crystal...she sold all of her belongings and her house too.

Until I went to her living estate sale, I didn't realize just what a very cool person Edith was.  I mean, I knew she was neat...but she is REALLY NEAT!!

She was so talented and creative...she made pottery, she sewed, she painted, she gardened, she cooked and she read....she was smart and feisty.

Her house is awesome and so we bought it.  I'm not exactly sure what we're going to do with it, but today...I want to hang on to it tight.

When she went to live with her daughter, I put her in my phone as "Edith"
yesterday "Edith" called and then she left me a text...only it wasn't her...it was her daughter calling to tell me that she had passed away.

I happened to be wearing her favorite denim shirt that I took from her closet

S.A.D. am I
I am really sad

I took some of her pottery that she made by hand...I just love this little dish in my window



she had a huge collection of copper....now it belongs to my house


large candelabras...I painted this one white

jewelry yet to be made


lots of pretty old bottles and perfume....she was very feminine

lots of vintage linens


her kids called her mummy....I love that so much...it is so sweet to hear her called that
Mummy...it fits her



I'm not sure what I thought when I was going through all her things and moving them across the alley from her cool house to my cool house....
but
I didn't really expect her to die
when she left that day I bought her 100 year old Webster dictionary...I didn't think it would be the last time I would see her

Look how beautiful she is...and her sassy earthy soul is woven in my life...I will cling to the things this beautiful woman made with her hands and gathered in her home...
I will miss her






2 comments:

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Hi Gina,
I'm so sorry to hear this. But what a lovely post you've created and one that shows your heart and soul. One of the reasons I adore you!
xoxo, T.

R's Rue said...

So sorry.