Friday, March 14, 2014

THE LITTLE BLACK LIBRARY


Can I just say 
whoa
and 
W.H.O.A.
?

The is the carbon black plant in Borger, Texas
aka Smoky City
everything is covered in a heavy black soot

that is so dear to me we recreated it in our own home
NOT

As we near the end of renovations at 822
(of course we will never really be done...I still have a long punch list)

I'm realizing we saved the
hardest for the last
YIKES!
(this is an industrial fan that barely helped)

Mr.PV and his dad built the library shelves with a bit LOT of help from cute carpenter man

no this is not a bad camera shot
it's a cloud of black dust that reminded me of 
the carbon black plant in Borger

the poor painters had to wear hazmat suits and they both took ill from the fumes

we lacquered them in black and well....you know me
"the cheapskate do it quick the first time kinda decorator"
not that I will ever have to...but I will never make that choice again!

too many steps (sand, base, sand, lacquer, sand, top coat, wipe)
too expensive (see above vs. 2 cans of extra shiny black no fume water base enamel)
too long of a process (see above vs. 30 minute dry time x 2 coats)

I know you're curious
tomorrow...we are taking a trip to the big city
40 miles past Smoky City
to get 
carpet/rug
a library table
some kind of cool libraryish light fixture
a set of vintage law books (Mr. PV wants to be a lawyer now)
of course a brass bar cart to match the brass library lights illuminating each shelf
and another bottle of fine bourbon 

I know you're curious
after photos around the corner!!!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome room you're creating there my friend, black dust and all.

Revi said...

Yes, it sounds very elegant, and man-friendly - especially with the Bourbon. :) A very upscale man-cave-ish room, where women will enjoy it as well. Hannah and I were just all down 6th street and in consignment shops looking for bar carts - and like Goldilocks, we have not yet found the one that is "just right" according to her tastes. I guess that just means we'll have more fun looking another time! Meanwhile, I look forward to your photos!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Gina, what a sad thing, to have a plant as such, spewing such harmful soot! I so hope that your project does not do any harm to you or your family! You have worked so hard to get your home just so, and I hope those workers are OK?

Your home has such a special quality to it from top to bottom, from one leaded glass window to each nook and cranny!

Have a relaxing day! Anita

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Gina,
I think you may have given your painters a story to share and an adventure perhaps they will not repeat. Your bookcase shelves look wonderful and I will patiently wait the reveal.
Happy shopping - happy weekend.
Vera

NanaDiana said...

LOL, Gina. Well, at least your sense of humor is intact -or would that be considered blackened humor?

Can't wait to see this project done and I bet you can't either- xo Diana

Maureen Wyatt said...

oooo - Black library shelves sound intriguing! I have to see this project finished.