When we were making decisions on connecting the garage apartment to the old part of the house,
it became apparent that we didn't want just a "hallway" and since it was going to be such small space
we decided to go UP for some drama!
We knew Mr. PV should have his office...but what besides that?
Several years ago we owned a building on Main Street that we bought at an estate auction
...we just used a limited amount of renovation money and turned it into an art gallery...
who doesn't want to have an art gallery?
and this is where, over the course of several years, I taught art lessons for elementary kids on Tuesday and Thursday after school
one day Mr.PV was wearing his bank hat, called me and told me we had been offered a good price to sell it,
and so we did
you can see the floor joists that will allow us to add a third story here someday
this made a perfect space for me to begin art classes again...just smaller ones
we will eventually add more of these wonderful windows as time goes on
but just a few here and there make a huge statement at 822
also, in our part of the country we really have to consider hail damage
I say we live in the New Roof Capital of the USA
hail-high winds-insurance- make this world go round!
we created an outside entrance for the art kids to enter
I've had several people tell me they heard this was a shower
man...I wish I'd thought of that!
nope...it's just an interesting detail that stretched the minds and souls of the frame crew
it's not a very good time of year to capture the view to the yard from the loft/atrium
but these are the windows...more like a ski lodge...but we just weren't sure what else to do?
except what we always do...and that's put in some glass!
this is the lovely view in the summer
the inside of the turret changes, I dare to say daily...but it changes a lot!
Are you ready for today?
art. art. art.
- just went with the flow as the ideas came as we were building. It's hard to imagine for some there was no architect and most of the things we did in this area just happened as ideas hit us...this is where I am so grateful to the wonderful artsy blogs I read! So much creativity there
- painted it a sunny yellow
- purchased 4 diamond beveled windows...the others are just our regular double glass
- used colorful 4x4 Moroccan tile for the stairs purchased on eBay
- cute carpenter guy gathered and cut sucker rod from local water wells to build the custom stair rail...he can just about do anything...make that... he can do anything!
- put a varathane coat on the concrete floor
putting the old copper weather vane my sister gave me on the turret....when that happened,
I shouted..out loud...YAY!!!!
This is hard to say....there's so much to love...the color, the light, the view... so if I were to have to sum it up I would just say that this space up here is full of
we light it all up each Christmas season
and no matter how many lights there are...the loveliness can never match
what the Master gifts us in nature
the colors of the night time sky filled with stars
are just breathtaking