Friday, February 27, 2015

CELLAR STAIRS



 Sunday blizzard left us with a decision
do we lay around and wait on the Oscars?
or
do we tackle the cellar project!

this old house has plenty of issues
in this corner was a set of stairs
stairs to nowhere...
I would assume this old cellar was a root cellar back in the day
and the stairs led to the outside
and when they built the house, they closed up the old cellar door 
and made an entrance from the inside

but they forgot to take out the stairs

so we did

and then we had a moment of illumination

to take out the plain old shelves here

and replace them with the stairs we were tearing out!
some of the pieces were only good to make the fire burn longer

and on this very blustery winter day, I was grateful for that!

I was wondering if there were still live spiders here?
thank goodness for the very unscared Mr. PV

old dead spiders were an easy fix 

there were only 5 shelves and the thickness of the old wood makes its own statement
so even though I love the shelves and had plenty of brackets...I just stayed with 5

we cleaned them up with soap and water
(down came the rain and washed the spiders out!)

it was a fun day to take everything off the hearth and think about a different look
this monk has spent years outside on my various porches

and these old items were stacked away in other places
the books came with the house
(I bet spiders lived in the pages)

I like to put my books in color order


they look a little delicate...but my goodness...they are very very old
it could be that someone long ago sat on these stairs and read them

I like old things...do you?

I am pretty sure that the people who walked on these steps 
have been in heaven a very long time by now

I have to wonder if they got a chuckle out of us using that wonderful old wood 
to replace perfectly ok shelves
to stack old stuff on



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! The beautiful wood with such a story to tell!!! Amazing!

Down On The Farm said...

That looks FANTASTIC! I like old things too :)!

NanaDiana said...

GREAT job. I love reusing old wood like that- it is perfect, isn't it? Don't like spiders-old ones or new ones! lol xo Diana

Karena said...

Gina I think that was the most wonderful idea, to re-purpose the steps as shelves, they are beautiful!!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Featuring:Turquerie

Rustic Vintage Country said...

I love the look of those chunky shelves! Suzy x

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Gina,
The old wood stairs turned into amazing shelves with a story worth sharing behind them. Yup love old things, hate spiders!
xx,
Vera

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

What a great thing to do...if those stairs could talk, hmmm?

Ann said...

Love the wood in there.
Marvelous project
and time well spent ♥

http://momsturf.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I LOVE those shelves! good call! xo Nancy