Tuesday, August 21, 2012

ART LOFT STAIRS

Do you remember my friend Paula?

 I did a blog about her stairs. When she first moved to town, she hired me to create them....with much more than paint.   We became good friends and today I would have done them for free!
I used all kinds of colors, and papers, and jewels and music..you name it...
it's on here--under a couple of thick coats of varathane

I really liked how they turned out
(I didn't take these photos)
They are very whimsical and they fit her fun personality

even though I could, I would not re-create this in our small town
so I have to come up with a different plan for my back of the house stairs leading to the art loft

only 7 will be in view unless you're walking up to the loft

and I think this is it...I know it's it--because

We've ordered tiles for our stairs like this

each stair will have 8 6x6 tiles

 and each stair will be
 different with (Jerico) greens, blues and oranges (no bright reds...softer colors)
with  dark scraped wood risers



This will be on the floor

I can't wait to see it all together...everything surrounding it will be a soft neutral (except for that one green wall)..so a big impact in a small space...lots of color...

kind of like

only not so cushy and quite a bit taller









16 comments:

designchic said...

I love your friends stairs and the tiles for yours will be amazing...can't wait to see!!

Woodside Park said...

What an exciting project, Gina. I can't wait for you to post more on this. In a way, it reminds me of Portugal. BTW, how lucky are you to have an art loft ;)
xoxo,
Loi

StagerLinda said...

Love your friends stairs. Your tiled stairs are going to look amazing. I'm excited to follow it. You better give us a peek into your artist's loft!

Marina in Blue said...

I have no words. Tiles look like the andalusian ones. I've seen something similar in a house here restored by a German in Jerez. A friend of mine who usually lives in Miami has a marvelous apartment in this house. Good Idea

Cheryl said...

Oh, I wanted to do this on our stairs, inspired by a cool home in Fredericksburg. It won't be cheap, but well worth the price. Go for it!

momto8 said...

oh my gosh!!! love the stairs!! and the tiles...wow..
my beige carpet is looking pretty lame.

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

Can't wait to see this!!!! Love the floor tile too. I had a sunroom in a previous house with similar Mexican tile on the floor and have always wanted to replicate it somewhere. This reminds me of it so much. Wow.

Geneva said...

You're so artistic it blows me away! That stairway that you did for your friend is amazing and so unique. Of course, your new stairway will be nice too...Love the tiles you've ordered. It's all coming together so nicely!

Leslie said...

Stair artistry! I love all the colors. That last photo is so funny.. are the re-runs still on? I grew up watching that show :)

Tatiana Doria said...

The stairs you have done for your friend are amazing!!! So fun and so original!!
I love the idea for yours and I can't wait to see it!

Travel With Lulu said...

Wow, and wow! Love those bright stairs - so much creativity in each step. And those tiles are gonna be just delicious :) Enjoy!

By Nela said...

Preciosa escalera es toda una obra de arte.

Besossss.

Manoli

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

YAY!!!!!! Those tiles are slammin. You know we love a good stair treatment :)

fiona anderson said...

We've actually stripped the carpet off our stairs, but I've yet to paint them. Great inspiration here.
Love both your very original stairs and the tiles - can't wait to see !

miss b said...

Your friends stairs are amazing - you are so creative! The tiles will look wonderful (they remind me of Spain) and I look forward to seeing the end result!
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr Paul said...

This is going to look wonderful. I'd have an art loft but theres something up there with green eyes that hisses at me when I open the hatch! I'd have an art basement but the creepy box that sits down there since we moved here freaks me out so we never go down there!
I'll stick to the art garden instead!