Wednesday, April 3, 2013

MY NIRVANA

For the longest time I thought
Nirvana
meant heaven or some place in between here and heaven


Nirvāṇa (Sanskrit: निर्वाण; Pali: निब्बान nibbāna ; Prakrit: णिव्वाण) is an ancient Sanskrit term used in Indian religions to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with liberation. It is the state of being free from suffering.


This is the view of the entry of the formal herb garden when we purchased 822


I actually carved out this path with a machete so I could get to the backyard
this is on the north side of the house
clearing it was bittersweet

there is just something so lovely and peaceful about this space
I would come here often and sit on the old garden bench and dream of our plans
~*~
but...sigh...it just was not going to be able to remain untouched
because we wanted to 
LIVE HERE


we love to cook and entertain and piddle and build and
do stuff

NIRVANA
 The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished
I thought perhaps I had reached my Nirvana when I realized that the 4th time I stacked these rocks

(you are viewing only one tiny pile from the reno)

would be my final time
(LIBERATING)

these rocks are 
H.E.A.V.Y.
but with each rock we moved
one by one by hand like a puzzle
I think we both were giving thanks
that we had the power and health to do it and that we were doing it together

pea gravel will go in the path
I can't wait to be liberated from that chore
I wonder how many wheelbarrows of pea gravel it will take?

these spaces will be filled with herbs and veggies
Farmers Almanac says plant beets May 1

there's my old trusty garden bench that is now exposed in the sun
and we uncovered this wonderful old tractor sprinkler too!
both were left here covered in vines

I love rock cairns and armillary and spheres
We hope for a fountain too

I would be pleased with the random, wild growth of gardener who isn't wound too tight

Mr. P.V. wants this
and has plans to become a Master Gardner when he retires from banking

maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle 

but until we shake this


this...pretty little flower in this place of accomplishment
 will be what I consider
 my Nirvana

fancy golden beet seeds?
Ready!








13 comments:

StagerLinda said...

I like it. I like that you hacked away and found stuff. I like that you cleared a special spot. I like that you puzzled it together until it felt right. I like that you created something and the memory of that creation will be with you for years to come.

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful piece of property. Amazing. I love that you have found bits and pieces of it's former glory as you went along. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see more -xo Diana

Maureen Wyatt said...

Tamed or unruly, your kitchen garden will be lovely. New gardens are a world of possibilities, just like the young garden fairy that is inhabiting your's right now!

stefanie said...

wow!!!! it is going to be soooo pretty!

Marissa said...

Wow~ You have done so much work to your property,and looks just amazing! I can't believe you used a machete.. I actually didn't think it looked bad .. looks like a place I'd like to get lost in.. Awesome job!!

Mr Paul said...

Oh that is just going to look gorgeous Gina. I want to see pictures of you doing your best Charlie Dimmock impression!

Leslie said...

We miss so much when we don't venture out. A place of nirvana indeed, and such a sweet picture at the end:)

xxleslie

momto8 said...

looks wonderful!!! have fun fun fun with your garden. my garden is my little piece of heaven! just got my spring seeds...

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

What a wonderful project you have going on! I am going to follow along, and am your newest follower. Have you ever grown Tulsi (Holy Basil)? It's a remarkable herb with medicinal benefits. Thank you for your visit!

Unknown said...

The bones of any landscape are the hardest to achieve and it looks like you've done it. Nirvana is there waiting for you.

As for the golden beet seeds.....are you sharing? It would be so special to think that I was growing some of YOUR seeds. Let me know in an email and we can swap.

Anajá Schmitz said...

Belíssimo seu Nirvana. Adorei essa mata. É uma pena que nós tenhamos que esperar tanto para realizar um sonho. Diz para o mister não esperar a té aposentadoria. Comece a fazer seu jardim dos sonhos.
Tenha uma ótima semana.

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Hard work done with your own hands brings a huge reward...this is going to be spectacular!

Unknown said...

Love your plan Gina. I dream of a boxwood garden and a structured backyard, but since Im hard to nail down and a bit whimsical, I don't think I'll be able to pull it off..Your paths look lovely though and I wish you a beautiful garden!
xo Nancy
Powellbrower.com