Friday, October 28, 2011

THE CRINOLINE SLIPPER

Time has passed and so many things are not the same as they were...so let me see if I can put this in the right order.

First came the little blonde girl...giggly, smart, and a bit later...prissy
and then came the floral party dress with a crinoline slipper underneath
to wear to tea parties and church
and then came the passage of time
and soon after that came Poppy's wicker trunk that came from B's Babboo's house
and in it went all the things I couldn't bear to part with all the time thinking someday I would be a Poppy and I would have a trunk that would hold tight all the things I couldn't bear to part with...
and in went this pretty floral flirty tea party dress...
and then came this little blonde girl...giggly, smart, and right now prissy...
and on the day she needed a costume to wear to school she went upstairs to Poppy's Dress Up Trunk
and for the first time in a very long time...
out came the floral party dress with a crinoline slipper underneath...
and then came a tightening in the chest (heart area) and a lump in the throat and a tear on the cheek
as the party dress....just as it was the day it was placed in the trunk so long ago....
popped out
with a big black afro...

and then came the laughter just at the exact moment that I knew it would someday...maybe not today..but someday...only it was

today

No comments: