Tuesday, March 23, 2010

RISE UP!


When my youngest daughter was in 8th grade, she was trying very very hard to be the Valedictorian of her class. She studied so hard all the time and worked her butt off for her good grades. (Btw..she was Salutatorian.)

She asked me one day why we were republican and I explained it to her like this.

I said, "ok…you have worked and worked and studied and studied. You have studied instead of hanging out with friends or playing on your computer…you have studied and chosen to make some sacrifices for your good grades.
So…what if after all you had done to make good grades, there was a boy in your class that could be just as smart as you, but he chose instead to play football, hang with friends, or play on his computer and he made failing grades. And then the teacher came in and said…M…you have a 100 in my class and R has a 0…I am going to share your 100 with him and you will both have a 50…so this class can be more fair.
I continue..you won’t get to be the Valedictorian of your class, but you will still make a high grade and because of what you have given to him…he will rise a little..but he will cause you to fall. Do you think that’s fair?"

I ask you the same question. Do you?

A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.

No comments: