Friday, May 4, 2012

LUCKY LADY BUGS


Last week B and I were in Amarillo picking up some trees and his garden gate

At the nursery check-out counter were live lady bugs...just like beef jerky at Alco, I could not stand in line and resist them.

So I didn't.

Ladybugs are the favorite insects of children because of their distinctive spots and vibrant colors and they were a sure winner for Miss Betty and her lovely garden


I was so surprised when we opened them up and they just spilled out on to her
2000 of them!


She never even flinched...she said
"they tickle Poppy"

and in about 3 seconds there were all over her, in her hair and dropping into the chives and bee balm below

I think there might have been some rules to letting these sweet little beetles release in the garden
...but we are not rule kind of gals

 Farmers love them because of their voracious appetite for plant-eating pests such as aphids, scale insects and mealybugs which destroy crops and they are perfect for small backyards.  Ladybugs are not poisonous to humans and will not destroy property.  They secrete a bad-tasting fluid when attacked by predators and their brightly colored bodies make them undesirable preys. Ladybugs are also believed to bring good luck. So, what is there not to like about ladybugs?


NOTHING!  WE LIKE!

2 comments:

heather @ new house, new home, new life said...

Love it! Although I don't know if I could handle that many on me.

Sunray Gardens said...

That is unbelievable how many were in there. Don't think I would want them all on me either though. :)

Cher Sunray Gardens