Wednesday, March 21, 2012

ALOUETTE, GENTILLE ALOUETTE HEY TELL

I first learned this song while in elementary choir and have always loved it.  I remember at the time thinking I could "speak" French.  Over the years I have sung this, mostly to myself, but lately I have enjoyed the feature on my Droid...the Hey Tell Feature....such a nice surprise when my little children get to hear this song at random!  Thank you Target for the great commercial to go with!





Ethnomusicologist Conrad LaForte points out that, in song, the lark (l'alouette)is the bird of the morning, and that it is the first bird to sing in the morning, hence waking lovers up and causing them to part, and waking up others as well, something which is not always appreciated.

 And so, as the lark makes lovers part or wakes up the sleepyhead, this would explain why the singer of "Alouette" wants to pluck it in so many ways, if he can catch it.

 Little skylark, lovely little skylark Little lark, I'll pluck your feathers off I’ll pluck the feathers off your head I’ll pluck the feathers off your head Off your head - off your head Little lark, little lark O-o-o-o-oh And adding: Off your beak Off your neck Off your back Off your wings Off your feet Off your tail

3 comments:

Geneva said...

This is hilarious! ":o)

Burlap Luxe said...

I love the Target adds :)

Thank you my friend for visiting with such encouraging words.

keep inspiring.
xx
Dore

designchic said...

Got to love a target ad...brilliant!